* In order to create a good atmosphere for active participation, the number of participants will be limited to 20 for the theory/methodology/writing courses, and to 10 for the intensive thematic workshops.
* Participants have to be registered as PhD students.
* PhD students from all disciplines and countries are eligible.
* PhD students will be admitted on the basis of an evaluation of their CV, project description and a letter of motivation.
* If there are more than 20/10 applicants, who qualify for participation, the places will be distributed along the following criteria:
a) Partner institutions: Students registered as PhD students at the 12 partner institutions (see under "Partners") will be prioritized for a maximum 80% of the 20 or 10 places. When the places are distributed among the partner institutions, a good spread between these institutions will also be ensured.
b) Open places: All remaining places will be open for competition between all eligible and qualifying applicants, including the places left over, if there are fewer eligible and qualifying applicants from the partner institutions than 80%. If there are more eligible and qualified applicants for the remaining "open" places, a selection process will take place, which, in addition to academic quality and motivation/relevance, will use selection criteria, which will ensure a spread of nationalities, regions, institutions and disciplines.
* An additional lot drawing procedure will be used, if several eligible and in all respects equally qualified applicants are competing for the limited number of places in the different categories (a and b, see above).
* In case of too many eligible and qualifying applicants, a waiting list will also be organized, and places will be offered to applicants on this list, should some of the selected participants have to cancel.
* Non-local PhD students who are accepted as participants will get a grant for travel and accommodation.